12 May, 2008

You can't spell 'self esteem' without 'festee'.

A homeless man told me I looked "very nice today".

I can't help but want to parse this for hidden meaning.

Does this mean that he sees me often and thinks I look nice today, as opposed to other days? Is he being patronising (pretty galling coming from a guy with things living in his facial hair)? Did he sense I needed a bit of a pick-me-up, after my ego-crushing credit card application ("I don't have any assets, I guess. Do first editions count?" "Ha, they're not worth anything. Do you have a car?")?

You know what? I'm going to return those overdue Woody Allen and Curb Your Enthusiasm DVDs today. I've overdosed on neuroses.


Oh, and housewarming at our place this Saturday. Be there!

5 comments:

His Whoreness said...

Ok, but I might be a bit late

Anonymous said...

This little story reminds me of an episode of Ab Fab. Do you remember when Eddie was berating her mother for taking her old clothes to the homeless shelter, and said to Saffron "It's bad enough these people have to content with being homeless, let alone the bear the humiliation of wearing last season, darling!".

But seriously, I say look for the good in people. And take everything anyone ever says about you as a compliment. That's what I do. Never underestimate yourself, old girl. I for one don't doubt that you obviously were looking fabulous enough for someone to need to compliment you.

Matt

PS - Won't be able to make the housewarming. My cash budget for the next two months is dryer than a snake's arse.

Anonymous said...

DID YOU FORGET YOUR BLOG?

His Whoreness said...

I'm feeling... neglected

Anonymous said...

Ha, I did actually forget about my blog. Internet, soon, maybe.